What does responsible pet ownership mean?

    There are five key things required by animals. These are:

    • Environment – a suitable place to live.

    • Diet – a suitable and sufficient diet.

    • Behaviour – ability to express normal behaviour.

    • Companionship – the ability to live with or apart from other animals.

    • Health – protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

    Why do we need a Domestic Animal Management Plan (DAMP)?

    Council has a legislative responsibility to review and develop a new DAMP every four years. The DAMP outlines Council’s overall direction, priorities and strategies for the next four year period. The current DAMP will expire in November 2017.

    What is a microchip?

    A microchip is a small capsule about the size of a grain of rice and is injected under the animal's skin between the shoulder blades. The microchip has an identification number pre-programmed into it and is used to identify the animal, a scanner that reads microchip numbers is passed over the animal's skin. The scanned number can then be checked against a register by an authorised user, which provides details of the animal's ownership.
    A microchip does not expire and stays with the animal for its lifetime. Owners are required to contact the appropriate register to update any changes to the details ie. change of phone number, address or change of ownership. Microchipping became compulsory in Victoria on 1 May 2007.

    Why do I need to register my dog or cat?

    As per the Domestic Animals Act 1994  the owner of a dog or cat must apply to register that dog or cat with the Council of the municipal district in which the dog or cat is kept, if the animal is over 3 months (12 weeks) of age. Every animal registration includes a State levy of $3.50 per dog and $2.00 per cat which is primarily used to fund responsible pet ownership programs but also includes provision of other services like domestic animal business compliance, pound services, animal management staff and various information booklets. Council registrations expire annually in Victoria on 10 April. Registrations must be renewed yearly.

    Do I need to keep my pet contained to my property?

    Dogs and cats should be contained on their property to ensure their safety and wellbeing. Dogs wandering at large can pose a danger to the community and are at risk of being injured. Cats are quite territorial and are prone to fighting and other unwanted behaviour if allowed to wander. By simply keeping pets contained to their property unwanted and unplanned litters of animals can be reduced significantly. Dog and cat owners can be fined if their animals are found at large.

    How do I provide my feedback?

    The proposed DAMP is available via:

    • Portland Customer Service Centre, 71 Cliff Street, Portland

    • Casterton Customer Service Centre, 67 Henty Street, Casterton

    • Heywood Customer Service Centre, 77 Edgar Street, Heywood

      Written submissions will be received via email: locallaws@glenelg.vic.gov.au or post to Glenelg Shire Council, PO Box 152 PORTLAND VIC 3305 or by completing the feedback form Feedback Form

      For further information contact Jacqui Muskee Local Laws Team Leader on 5522 2208. Submissions close 5.00pm Friday, 25 August 2017.

      Feedback Form
      Complete the Feedback Form which asks specific questions about the project and provides an opportunity for general comments regarding the project/proposal.