Why does Council need to have an updated Domestic Wastewater Management Plan?

    Council is required to prepare a Domestic Wastewater Management Plan (DWMP) under the State Environment Protection Policy (Waters of Victoria). This DWMP must assess domestic wastewater (often referred to as on-site wastewater systems or septic tanks) risks in the municipality and develop appropriate actions to address potential impacts.

    Will Council be assessing my septic tank or treatment plant system under this plan?

    Council will be addressing each of the required actions that are identified in this plan. Some of those actions require assessment of existing systems in higher risk areas with the purpose of building a picture of the current domestic wastewater situation in the Glenelg Shire. 

    In implementing this plan it is possible that Council will assess your system to assist in this process.

    Will my township be sewered as a result of this plan?

    Through the assessment of existing systems Council will be able to build a picture of the domestic wastewater management issues facing our communities. Council will be able to use this information to work with Wannon Water to identify any improvements that can be made.

    Ultimately, authority to install reticulated sewerage systems is that of Wannon Water, however Council can collect data to assist Wannon Water in planning for the future.

    What about the Glenelg Shire Council owned and managed systems?

    Systems that are owned or managed by the Glenelg Shire Council will be included in any assessments that are undertaken as a result of this plan. It is the intention of Council to prioritise assessment of publicly owned systems to reduce any risk to public health that might be posed by aging Council systems.

    What do I need to do if my township or property has been identified as a ‘higher risk’ area?

    If you reside in an area that has been identified as a high risk area it is important that you maintain your system in accordance with any permit conditions or manufacturer specifications. If you have any concerns with your system please contact Council or your preferred plumber for advice.